Money management can seem like a daunting task when it feels like there is very little time. We all have many responsibilities that seem to keep us from completing this task effectively or in a timely manner. Money management itself can also be a stressful topic for many people especially if it is an area of struggle. It is important to understand your connection with money and why you have that connection. If it is a negative connection, it is important to look at formulating a new plan for prosperity. The following are some steps on how to make the most of your time, manage your money and have fun at the same time.
Time is something that is limited and there are always too many things that need to get done so money management can seem difficult to accomplish. Planning your time gives you control over how much you get accomplished. It is important to write the tasks you want to accomplish each day and check off each item that is completed. This will give you a wonderful feeling of accomplishment and build your self-esteem. The following are some tips to help you manage your time effectively.
- Eliminate the unnecessary – Draw strict lines regarding how you will spend your time. Focus on your goals and do not be distracted by other things such as social media or co-workers.
- Plan your work each day – spend 10 – 15 minutes each day planning a short list of tasks that you want to accomplish. Be realistic about what you can accomplish or you may feel defeated instead of having a sense of accomplishment. Write it down and stick to those goals.
- Multi-tasking – Be careful about multi-tasking as it can decrease your efficiency and result in you not being able to complete your tasks. Make sure you allow about one hour for money management.
- Reduce Interruptions – We are not able to reduce the number of interruptions but we can alter the timing. Interruptions regarding less important matters that can be handled at a later time and delayed to complete more important tasks. Money management should be a priority.
- Be sure to plan time for yourself daily. Self-care is important to the ongoing management of your time and money.
Money management can be a challenging endeavor especially if you have a spouse or partner to work with and not much time together. It is important for couples to be on the same page regularly regarding their finances to create harmony in a relationship. One way to address the money management task is to make it fun by turning it into “date night”. Plan a special time with your partner in advance to have a fun money management date together. Below are some budget “date night” suggestions.
Budget Date Night 1 fun activities:
- Break out a bottle of wine and make your favorite snacks to lighten the mood.
- Create your budget including all the fun things you would like to do. Be sure to put all the necessities at the top. Then work your way down the list:
- Sample Budget:FoodWater
Give to your favorite charity $5,000.00
Vacation to Maui $2,000.00
Buy a motorcycle $10,000.00
Buy a sports car $50,000.00
Buy a vacation home $100,000.00
- Sample Budget:FoodWater
- Register on a money management website. One reputable site is www.mint.com. You can register online by clicking the following link https://wwws.mint.com/login.event?task=S.
- Upload your accounts to see your expenses and cash flow.
- Use a stack of index cards to separately write down your money related goals.
- Discuss your goals and then decide which ones are your top three goals.
Budget Date 2 fun activities:
- Make your favorite dessert and play some of your favorite music.
- Then spend 20 minutes determining how much it will cost to attain the three goals. Put dollar figures on your budget so you can work towards them.
- Determine a timeframe for each goal and how much you would need to save per month.
- Program the goals into www.mint.com so the site can track your progress.
Mastering time and money management skills is important to creating financial success. Money management does not have to be dreaded or control your life. You have the ability to decide what you want and then work towards it. All you have to do is take action!
Latest posts by PCS Debt Relief (see all)
- 7 Ways a Small Business Can Get Ahead This Holiday Season - November 11, 2019
- 5 Ways To Save Money in a Small Business - October 28, 2019
- How to Survive the Impending Recession - October 14, 2019